Network problem (was: cannot resolve hostname)

On Sat, 07 May 2011 15:15:18 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 07/05/11 14:50, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> First, resolve your network layout by either using a dynamic setup
>> (your IP address could change on every reboot) or by using a static
>> configuration.
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
>>
>> Then, review your "/etc/hosts" file.
>>
>> Do you see the same error if you run "/sbin/ifconfig", that is, using
>> not "sudo" at all?
>>
> OK - I want to use a static IP address (easier for a simpleton like me
> to configure the printer client machine to see it).  The IP address I
> have customarily used is 192.168.1.40 and that is what is in my
> /etc/hosts file:

(...)

Okay, let's forget momentary the "hosts" file and go on with the network
issue which I think is more important here.

> So, I have just done the following:
>
> (1) I altered the /etc/hosts IP address to *.64
> (2) ensured that the /etc/network/interface file read "static" rather
> than dhcp
> (3) rebooted

(...)

Copy/paste what does your "/etc/network/interfaces" look like and also
post the results of "/sbin/ifconfig", "cat /etc/resolv.conf", "ping -c 3
192.168.0.1" (or whatever the IP of your router is) and just in case "ip
ro" and "dmesg | grep -i eth".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón