Re: Network problem {start of part 2}

On 08/05/11 10:40, Camaleón wrote:
<snip>
I'm now running squeeze from the Feb netinst i386 iso.[1]  This is a
fresh install using graphical expert install.
You should have not installed by scratch>;-P

No doubt. Except, given I had tinkered around so much with the previous installation, I wanted to get back to something that was rather more pristine than the potential dog's breakfast I had created in my blind effort to fix the problems.
When there is a problem is better to solve to know what had happened in
order to avoid it in a future, or at least to know what steps to follow
in the event you find yourself in the same situation. If you always
reinstall, you'll find yourself in a loop-problem :-)

That is wise advice, hence starting the amendment to this thread so that I can progress through this issue without borking things up inadvertently.

I set the parameters of
the network as follows (being a creature of habit):

No auto-configure with DHCP
IP 192.168.1.40
gateway 192.168.1.254
nameserver 87.194.255.154 #modified from previous hostname valhalla
(...)

# output from /etc/resolv.conf is:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search org
nameserver 87.194.255.154
nameserver 87.194.255.155

# compared with previously (&  probably a limited range because the
domain is defined as lan rather than as org): $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain lan
search lan
nameserver 192.168.1.254
Whenever you experience any problem with Internet browsing, your first
steps should be:

- Ping to the ADSL router gateway (e.g., ping -c 3 192.168.0.254)
- If you reach it, then ping to an external host by its name (e.g., ping -
c 3 google.com)
- If you can't reach it, then ping to an external site by its IP address
(ping -c 3 8.8.8.8)

Those simple tests can help you to determine a issue on DNS resolution or
a connectivity one.

These are useful steps, & ones that I have deployed before, to some extent anyway. But when the system ain't connecting to anything, then I - for one - don't really know how to move beyond that.

Back to your setup, now you are using an external set of DNS resolvers
(87.194.255.154/87.194.255.155) and before you had setup your local
router as a DNS resolver (192.168.1.254). Both forms are okay, but I
prefer to use my ISP's external DNS because there is a higher chance they
work as expected while the ADSL router can fail... let's say "easily".

So having established my ISP's nameservers, this seems to have worked well. Except of course, now the /etc/resolv.conf file is always empty on rebooting.

Having done some searching on this, the advice seems to be to edit the IPv4 settings in Network Manager under "wired" connection tab, select the "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only" method and manually enter the nameserver addresses (i.e. 87.194.255.154) to the DNS servers line. I have yet to do this because I don't know if I'll mess things up again, so do you have any thoughts on this approach as a way of ensuring that the /etc/resolv.conf file doesn't get erased during each reboot. Apparently changing permissions on the file to read only doesn't stop this from being erased, so I'm not too sure what other options there may be to fix this.

I don't know if any of this is of any value, although from my
perspective I am pleased to have a system that works as I want it out of
the box.  I will progress through the upgrades slowly, and have
uninstalled Network Manager in case that was the culprit, and in any
event my needs are not that complex that require something like that.

So, in terms of upgrading, would doing an aptitude safe-upgrade be the
wisest approach to updating squeeze to testing/ wheezy?
Hum... if you wanted to reached testing, why you just didn't install any
of the latest wheezy images (daily/weekly)? Any problem you encountered
in your first attempt [1] will be present when you upgrade so the sooner
you solve the problem, the better. You have to start confronting the
issues, not getting around them :-)

Fair point. It's just really difficult working with a system one cannot log into :-)

Thanks for your continued help and patience.

AG