Re: Network problem {end of part 1}

On 07/05/11 18:43, Brian wrote:
On Sat 07 May 2011 at 17:48:31 +0100, AG wrote:

[Snip]

May  7 17:30:28 valhalla NetworkManager[1542]:    SCPluginIfupdown:
guessed connection type (eth0) = 802-3-ethernet
May  7 17:30:28 valhalla NetworkManager[1542]:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown:
update_connection_setting_from_if_block: name:eth0, type:802-3-ethernet,
[Snip again]

cat /etc/resolv.conf:
$ sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf
sudo: unable to resolve host valhalla
# Generated by NetworkManager
I have never used NetworkManager. I know little about it. But I do know
it does not play with ifupdown kindly. Both cannot be used together to
manage interfaces.

Yours (becoming more intrigued),

Brian.

To all of you who have offered and have been helpful.

I'm going for the "nuclear" option and am downloading the netinstall.iso and will install from scratch and see if I run into the same problems again in the future. So far, the only successes have been when I enable the dhcp option in the /etc/network/interfaces file, but as I need to have a printer client find the server this is no good to me. I (strongly?) suspect that the offending culprit is Network Manager, but cannot demonstrate that, so will endeavour to avoid or de-install that if possible.

Thanks for your help and I'll report back in a couple of hours when the machine is (hopefully!) up and running again in a manner that seems sane.

Thanks again.

AG