Re: Network problem {start of part 2}

On Sun, 08 May 2011 08:49:37 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 07/05/11 19:10, AG wrote:

> I'm now running squeeze from the Feb netinst i386 iso.[1]  This is a
> fresh install using graphical expert install.

You should have not installed by scratch >;-P

When there is a problem is better to solve to know what had happened in
order to avoid it in a future, or at least to know what steps to follow
in the event you find yourself in the same situation. If you always
reinstall, you'll find yourself in a loop-problem :-)

> I set the parameters of
> the network as follows (being a creature of habit):
>
> No auto-configure with DHCP
> IP 192.168.1.40
> gateway 192.168.1.254
> nameserver 87.194.255.154 #modified from previous hostname valhalla

(...)

> # output from /etc/resolv.conf is:
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search org
> nameserver 87.194.255.154
> nameserver 87.194.255.155
>
> # compared with previously (& probably a limited range because the
> domain is defined as lan rather than as org): $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> domain lan
> search lan
> nameserver 192.168.1.254

Whenever you experience any problem with Internet browsing, your first
steps should be:

- Ping to the ADSL router gateway (e.g., ping -c 3 192.168.0.254)
- If you reach it, then ping to an external host by its name (e.g., ping -
c 3 google.com)
- If you can't reach it, then ping to an external site by its IP address
(ping -c 3 8.8.8.8)

Those simple tests can help you to determine a issue on DNS resolution or
a connectivity one.

Back to your setup, now you are using an external set of DNS resolvers
(87.194.255.154/87.194.255.155) and before you had setup your local
router as a DNS resolver (192.168.1.254). Both forms are okay, but I
prefer to use my ISP's external DNS because there is a higher chance they
work as expected while the ADSL router can fail... let's say "easily".

> I don't know if any of this is of any value, although from my
> perspective I am pleased to have a system that works as I want it out of
> the box.  I will progress through the upgrades slowly, and have
> uninstalled Network Manager in case that was the culprit, and in any
> event my needs are not that complex that require something like that.
>
> So, in terms of upgrading, would doing an aptitude safe-upgrade be the
> wisest approach to updating squeeze to testing/ wheezy?

Hum... if you wanted to reached testing, why you just didn't install any
of the latest wheezy images (daily/weekly)? Any problem you encountered
in your first attempt [1] will be present when you upgrade so the sooner
you solve the problem, the better. You have to start confronting the
issues, not getting around them :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón