Re: Network problem {start of part 2}

On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:08:38 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 08/05/11 10:40, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Back to your setup, now you are using an external set of DNS resolvers
>> (87.194.255.154/87.194.255.155) and before you had setup your local
>> router as a DNS resolver (192.168.1.254). Both forms are okay, but I
>> prefer to use my ISP's external DNS because there is a higher chance
>> they work as expected while the ADSL router can fail... let's say
>> "easily".
>>

> So having established my ISP's nameservers, this seems to have worked
> well.  Except of course, now the /etc/resolv.conf file is always empty
> on rebooting.
>
> Having done some searching on this, the advice seems to be to edit the
> IPv4 settings in Network Manager under "wired" connection tab, select
> the "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only" method and manually enter the
> nameserver addresses (i.e. 87.194.255.154) to the DNS servers line.  I
> have yet to do this because I don't know if I'll mess things up again,
> so do you have any thoughts on this approach as a way of ensuring that
> the /etc/resolv.conf file doesn't get erased during each reboot.
> Apparently changing permissions on the file to read only doesn't stop
> this from being erased, so I'm not too sure what other options there may
> be to fix this.

Hum... may I suggest you to disable the NetworkManager service at all?
Not unistalling it but getting rid of it (avoid the service to be started
on boot). If you are not using a laptop nor need a dynamic network
management, it should be fine.

Also, do you have the "resolvconf" package installed? There are only two
apps I'm aware of that can cause an empty "/etc/resolv.conf". One is NM
and the other is "resolvconf". The third one should be a bug :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón