Re: URL shortening (was Re: Need /etc/apt/sources.list)

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 01:33, Arno Schuring <aelschuring@hotmail.com> wrote:
> However, this mailing list is archived. That means that links given on
> this mailing list are not simply fire-and-forget, they should be able
> to be resolved years from now. And while we cannot guarantee that any
> link remains valid, it is foolish to assume URL shorteners outlive the
> target website.
>
> In other words, please do not use (unnecessary) URL mangling. It
> needlessly makes your message useless for posterity.

There were actually a few cases of these link-shortening services
going under. Tr.im went under and was bought, Canonical and Google
both bought and saved one (I don't remember the names) and for a while
bit.ly was under threat for violating Sharia law.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com