Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

Hello,

Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Geronimo:
> > As every of my drives had an installed grub in mbr,
>
> Ok, I forgot that. (BTW, I find this setup really strange, but if it
> worked in the past with grub2 it should of course continue to work.)

LOL - let me clarify, that this setup has not been created by intention.
I tried to change root to another SSD, but I never installed grub to the other
6 drives.

It happened by accident, when grub-install /dev/sda was executed, but /dev/sda
is not the expected drive, but mapped by who ever to another drive, that
should be /dev/sdg or so.

> > What's unclear from (my post from 06:59:49 today):
> >> 1.) A fresh installation from debian 6.0 netinst CD results in an
> >> unbootable system, even using a single partition installation target.
>
> Ok, that's great! I would say that makes you eligible to file a bug
> report against d-i. :) Can you diff the grub.cfg against the one
> generated by 6.0?

How should I do that?

If stable repos are updated to 6.0.1 then installing a fresh system using 6.0
netinst CD will end up by a fresh installed 6.0.1 system.

I don't have the possibility to diff agains 6.0 - the 6.0 systems I continue to
have, are quite different HW and for so not comparable.

So since update to 6.0.1 every installation on my desktop system results in an
unusable/broken system.

> Can you still make the system bootable again just by removing the extra
> SATA controller?
> Does it suffice to remove the disks from that
> controller? Is there anything else you can do with the hardware or the
> BIOS to make it bootable again?

I'll check that, on my next sparetime timeslot.

kind regards

Gero