Re: squeeze fails to install

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> on 19:30 Thu 17 Feb, Neal Hogan (nealhogan@gmail.com) wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'll generally constrain my followup to the earlier thread rather than
>> > propogating two separate ones.

>> > As opposed to unexpected.
>>
>> Yes, yes . . . clearly unexpected. The error forces me back to the
>> partition stage. I suppose I can choose the next step of the
>> installation, but I didn't feel it was appropriate given the lake of
>> partitions.
>
> It's not that you don't have partitions, but that you haven't changed
> the state of the partition(s) which previously existed.
>
> Sometimes staggering on is the better part of valour.

This is not a quest for the holy grail ;-)

>> > Generally:  you should be able to verify the FS creation either from
>> > shell on the installation system, or by booting another system (e.g.:
>> > Live CD, Knoppix, etc.).
>>
>> ok . . . felt it was not necessary given that I wanted to create a new table.
>
> I'm actually a fan of the debootstrap installation method, usually
> performed from a Knoppix disk or other bootable media.  This gives me a
> Debian installation with the support of a full-fledged installation
> behind it during the installation process.
>
> For multiple installs, of course, you'd want to use FAI or similar.
>

>> > There's a difference between repartitioning and creating new
>> > filesystems.
>> >

>> then why does the install warn about wiping out all of the stuff that
>> was on the disk?
>
> Abundance of caution and all that.

I heeded the caution and said wipe the drive.

> People have been known to take dimly to having their data disappeared.
>
> And both repartitioning and reformatting will generally disappear data
> for most purposes.

>> > Hrm....  I thought it was.  May be some other utility.  Check the usual
>> > places (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, busybox) for available
>> > utilities.
>> >

>> I checked and couldn't find them. I was surprised.
>
> I'd have to poke around in the installer (and you'd have to indicate
> which installer you're using) and/or install package to verify this
> myself.  Color me surprised though.

whichever installer is in the (x86) net-install, disk-one, mini.iso .
. . both linux and BSD kernels . . . from the default debian.org links
(i.e., the ones that you get from following the links on debian.org)

>> > You should have the option of selecting at boot time.
>>
>> I agree
>
> Agree or not, the option should be presented.  You might, say, rather
> than being all agreeable and stuff, actually verify this on your
> installation media by, say, booting it and checking.

I did . . that is why I said that there was no option and agree that
there should be one. I've indicated my install media in response to
others and above.

Dr Ed, I sincerely appreciate your effort. Honestly, I feel that I've
given enough info, given that i had a working system a week ago with
Lenny and squeeze (via upgrade) and the fact that I've been able to
install other OS's (oBSD, fedora, gentoo) without a problem.

I do not want to bother the community with further issue(s) (unless
someone really wants to persue this). I thank all those who've taken
the time to read my posts and I apologize if I've offended anyone.