Re: squeeze fails to install

I'll generally constrain my followup to the earlier thread rather than
propogating two separate ones.

on 18:11 Thu 17 Feb, Neal Hogan (nealhogan@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> > on 21:01 Wed 16 Feb, Neal Hogan (nealhogan@gmail.com) wrote:
> >> I have another thread started that is not getting much traffic given
> >> the significance of the situation: installation.
> >>
> >> Every installation medium that I've tried fails. Those trials include
> >> net-install-iso, mini-iso, full-diskOne-iso. . .with both linux and
> >> bsd kernels.
> >>
> >> What information do those that know anything about the install of the
> >> latest "stable" release need to know to fix this issue? There have
> >> been a few (if not several) other threads dealing with installation of
> >> squeeze. Was this tested?
> >
> > How about:
> >
> >  - System onto which you're installing.
>
> I'm not sure what "onto" means. I'm attempting the x86 install.

A description of the make/model, general hardware profile, etc., of the
system.  You give a rough outline below.

> >  - Specific error message(s) encountered during installation.
> >

> You saw this in my other thread. it fails oto partition.
>
> >> Background: I've had Lenny on this particualr machine
> >> installing/running just fine. I was able to upgrade from Lenny to
> >> Squeeze with no problem. The fresh install is the problem. My machine
> >> is an early 2000's HP pavilion (ze4400). Why doesn't the install
> >> script partition my hard drive?
> >
> > Is this the only part of the installation which fails to occur as
> > expected?
> >

> expected?

As opposed to unexpected.

In some cases it's possible to continue through an error, in others not.
You're giving us a verbal description of the process / procedure, not a
session transcript (difficult w/ the installer, granted) or logs of
errors/output.

The more fully and in detail you can describe your problem, the more
appropriate assistance can be provided.

> > Is a filesystem created at all?
> >

> Dunno . . . it stops the install. As I've said elsewhere, the
> partition failure takes place after the root partition creation.

Generally:  you should be able to verify the FS creation either from
shell on the installation system, or by booting another system (e.g.:
Live CD, Knoppix, etc.).

> > Is the hard drive already partitioned?
> >

> ya (with Lenny), but I don't care about those partitoins. I want to
> wipe them out.

There's a difference between repartitioning and creating new
filesystems.

> > How large is the hard drive?
> >

> 100G

That should be sufficiently large for normal automatic partitioning to
occur.   As opposed to, say, a 1-10GB drive (1GB is barely sufficient
for minimal Debian these days, 10GB barely sufficient for a lean
install).

> > Does the rest of the installation complete or not?
> >

> Dunno. . . I didn;t feel it reasonable to contintue with the instal if
> my disk isn't partitioned.

OK

> > Have you tried shelling out (alt-F2 generally) to partition and create
> > filesystems yourself?
>
> yes, fdisk/cfdisk is not an available comand.

Hrm....  I thought it was.  May be some other utility.  Check the usual
places (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, busybox) for available
utilities.

> > Are you using the graphical or console installer?
> >

> There was no option. It appeared graphical.

You should have the option of selecting at boot time.

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s01.html.en

You *HAVE* read the Installation Guide, right?

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power