Re: squeeze fails to install

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> on 21:01 Wed 16 Feb, Neal Hogan (nealhogan@gmail.com) wrote:
>> I have another thread started that is not getting much traffic given
>> the significance of the situation: installation.
>>
>> Every installation medium that I've tried fails. Those trials include
>> net-install-iso, mini-iso, full-diskOne-iso. . .with both linux and
>> bsd kernels.
>>
>> What information do those that know anything about the install of the
>> latest "stable" release need to know to fix this issue? There have
>> been a few (if not several) other threads dealing with installation of
>> squeeze. Was this tested?
>
> How about:
>
>  - System onto which you're installing.

I'm not sure what "onto" means. I'm attempting the x86 install.

>  - Specific error message(s) encountered during installation.

You saw this in my other thread. it fails oto partition.

>> Background: I've had Lenny on this particualr machine
>> installing/running just fine. I was able to upgrade from Lenny to
>> Squeeze with no problem. The fresh install is the problem. My machine
>> is an early 2000's HP pavilion (ze4400). Why doesn't the install
>> script partition my hard drive?
>
> Is this the only part of the installation which fails to occur as
> expected?

expected?

> Is a filesystem created at all?

Dunno . . . it stops the install. As I've said elsewhere, the
partition failure takes place after the root partition creation.

> Is the hard drive already partitioned?

ya (with Lenny), but I don't care about those partitoins. I want to
wipe them out.

> How large is the hard drive?

100G

> Does the rest of the installation complete or not?

Dunno. . . I didn;t feel it reasonable to contintue with the instal if
my disk isn't partitioned.

> Have you tried shelling out (alt-F2 generally) to partition and create
> filesystems yourself?

yes, fdisk/cfdisk is not an available comand.

> Are you using the graphical or console installer?

There was no option. It appeared graphical.