Re: squeeze fails to install

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll generally constrain my followup to the earlier thread rather than
> propogating two separate ones.
>
> on 18:11 Thu 17 Feb, Neal Hogan (nealhogan@gmail.com) wrote:

>> > How about:
>> >
>> >  - System onto which you're installing.
>>
>> I'm not sure what "onto" means. I'm attempting the x86 install.
>
> A description of the make/model, general hardware profile, etc., of the
> system.  You give a rough outline below.
>
>> >  - Specific error message(s) encountered during installation.
>> >

>> You saw this in my other thread. it fails oto partition.

>> > Is this the only part of the installation which fails to occur as
>> > expected?
>> >

>> expected?
>
> As opposed to unexpected.

Yes, yes . . . clearly unexpected. The error forces me back to the
partition stage. I suppose I can choose the next step of the
installation, but I didn't feel it was appropriate given the lake of
partitions.

> In some cases it's possible to continue through an error, in others not.
> You're giving us a verbal description of the process / procedure, not a
> session transcript (difficult w/ the installer, granted) or logs of
> errors/output.
>
> The more fully and in detail you can describe your problem, the more
> appropriate assistance can be provided.

you're right.

>> > Is a filesystem created at all?
>> >

>> Dunno . . . it stops the install. As I've said elsewhere, the
>> partition failure takes place after the root partition creation.
>
> Generally:  you should be able to verify the FS creation either from
> shell on the installation system, or by booting another system (e.g.:
> Live CD, Knoppix, etc.).

ok . . . felt it was not necessary given that I wanted to create a new table.

>> > Is the hard drive already partitioned?
>> >

>> ya (with Lenny), but I don't care about those partitoins. I want to
>> wipe them out.
>
> There's a difference between repartitioning and creating new
> filesystems.

then why does the install warn about wiping out all of the stuff that
was on the disk?

>> > How large is the hard drive?
>> >

>> 100G
>
> That should be sufficiently large for normal automatic partitioning to
> occur.   As opposed to, say, a 1-10GB drive (1GB is barely sufficient
> for minimal Debian these days, 10GB barely sufficient for a lean
> install).
>
>> > Does the rest of the installation complete or not?
>> >

>> Dunno. . . I didn;t feel it reasonable to contintue with the instal if
>> my disk isn't partitioned.
>
> OK
>
>> > Have you tried shelling out (alt-F2 generally) to partition and create
>> > filesystems yourself?
>>
>> yes, fdisk/cfdisk is not an available comand.
>
> Hrm....  I thought it was.  May be some other utility.  Check the usual
> places (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, busybox) for available
> utilities.

I checked and couldn't find them. I was surprised.

>> > Are you using the graphical or console installer?
>> >

>> There was no option. It appeared graphical.
>
> You should have the option of selecting at boot time.

I agree

>    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s01.html.en
>
> You *HAVE* read the Installation Guide, right?

 yes

Thanks for your time.