Re: squeeze fails to install

on 21:01 Wed 16 Feb, Neal Hogan (nealhogan@gmail.com) wrote:
> I have another thread started that is not getting much traffic given
> the significance of the situation: installation.
>
> Every installation medium that I've tried fails. Those trials include
> net-install-iso, mini-iso, full-diskOne-iso. . .with both linux and
> bsd kernels.
>
> What information do those that know anything about the install of the
> latest "stable" release need to know to fix this issue? There have
> been a few (if not several) other threads dealing with installation of
> squeeze. Was this tested?

How about:

  - System onto which you're installing.
  - Specific error message(s) encountered during installation.

> Background: I've had Lenny on this particualr machine
> installing/running just fine. I was able to upgrade from Lenny to
> Squeeze with no problem. The fresh install is the problem. My machine
> is an early 2000's HP pavilion (ze4400). Why doesn't the install
> script partition my hard drive?

Is this the only part of the installation which fails to occur as
expected?

Is a filesystem created at all?

Is the hard drive already partitioned?

How large is the hard drive?

Does the rest of the installation complete or not?

Have you tried shelling out (alt-F2 generally) to partition and create
filesystems yourself?

Are you using the graphical or console installer?

Installation messages are logged as well:

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s01.html.en

> As you can see, I'm rather frustrated. I've enjoyed the debian
> experience up to this point. I don't mind working to get things done,
> but my issue seems to be a rather big deal (i.e., squeeze can't
> install on a machine that has worked).
>
> I understand that the majorty of folks on this list are not devs, but
> the devs who do subscribe *should* take notice. No?

As others have noted:  file a bug against debian-installer.  That's how
devs hear about things.  This list is for user-to-user (and occasionally
dev-to-user) support.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power