Re: squeeze fails to install

on 19:30 Thu 17 Feb, Neal Hogan (nealhogan@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'll generally constrain my followup to the earlier thread rather than
> > propogating two separate ones.
> >
> > on 18:11 Thu 17 Feb, Neal Hogan (nealhogan@gmail.com) wrote:

> >> expected?
> >
> > As opposed to unexpected.
>
> Yes, yes . . . clearly unexpected. The error forces me back to the
> partition stage. I suppose I can choose the next step of the
> installation, but I didn't feel it was appropriate given the lake of
> partitions.

It's not that you don't have partitions, but that you haven't changed
the state of the partition(s) which previously existed.

Sometimes staggering on is the better part of valour.

> >> Dunno . . . it stops the install. As I've said elsewhere, the
> >> partition failure takes place after the root partition creation.
> >
> > Generally:  you should be able to verify the FS creation either from
> > shell on the installation system, or by booting another system (e.g.:
> > Live CD, Knoppix, etc.).
>
> ok . . . felt it was not necessary given that I wanted to create a new table.

I'm actually a fan of the debootstrap installation method, usually
performed from a Knoppix disk or other bootable media.  This gives me a
Debian installation with the support of a full-fledged installation
behind it during the installation process.

For multiple installs, of course, you'd want to use FAI or similar.

> > There's a difference between repartitioning and creating new
> > filesystems.
> >

> then why does the install warn about wiping out all of the stuff that
> was on the disk?

Abundance of caution and all that.

People have been known to take dimly to having their data disappeared.

And both repartitioning and reformatting will generally disappear data
for most purposes.

> >> yes, fdisk/cfdisk is not an available comand.
> >
> > Hrm....  I thought it was.  May be some other utility.  Check the usual
> > places (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, busybox) for available
> > utilities.
> >

> I checked and couldn't find them. I was surprised.

I'd have to poke around in the installer (and you'd have to indicate
which installer you're using) and/or install package to verify this
myself.  Color me surprised though.

> >> There was no option. It appeared graphical.
> >
> > You should have the option of selecting at boot time.
>
> I agree

Agree or not, the option should be presented.  You might, say, rather
than being all agreeable and stuff, actually verify this on your
installation media by, say, booting it and checking.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power