Re: Console resolution

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:07:51 -0500 (EST), Chris Brennan wrote:

> I am not new to the linux way of things but I am new to the  debain
> way of things and I have some questions that need to be answered. To
> start, I need to ket rid of nouveau as it's screwing with uvesafb
> (produces an 'Error -22'). I added it to
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf but it's still being loaded.

Blacklisting a module only prevents udev from loading it.  That's
because when udev loads a module it uses the "-b" switch of the
modprobe command.  However, when the X server loads a module,
it does not use the "-b" switch of modprobe.  They key is to get
the X server to not load it.

> Nouveau is
> also only using the top-left quarter of my laptop's display and it's
> rather annoying. Once I can get rid of Nouveau I can then work on
> getting my nvidia driver loaded and I can use X ... as it stans
> nouveau is also not working correctly with X ... I get a very corrupt
> display but otherwise functional, just very hard to see.

I couldn't use nouveau either because my monitor requires an interlaced
video mode.  The nouveau driver apparently doesn't support interlacing,
or at least the version I tried at the time did not.  Create a file
called /etc/X11/xorg.conf and put the following in it:

     Section "Device"
             Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
             Driver          "nv"
     EndSection

If your video card chipset is old enough to be supported by the
free nv driver, which Nvidia no longer maintains, this should work.
If the nv driver won't work, you can try a more generic driver,
such as vesa.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :