Re: external drive enclosures / esata / port multipliers?

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Monte Milanuk wrote:
> On 1/19/11 10:23 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> I'm somewhat inclined to go with option 'C':  an HP Proliant
> Microserver N36L - comes without OS (certified for RHEL5), 1GB ECC
> memory + 160gb SATA drive.  Move the OEM drive to the optical drive
> bay, stuff the four HDD bays with 2TB drives and call it a day.  A
> little more expensive than the eSATA 4-bay drive enclosure, still a
> good bit cheaper than the SAS/SATA 4-bay enclosure + SAS HBA card.
> Replaces the old desktop PC 'server' entirely.

That would work, yes.  I have seen a lot of people do something like that.
If you buy a good motherboard and power supply, it is quite reliable.  I
don't know if HP used quality components, but they usually do on their
server lines (not so much on anything desktop/laptop, though).

  Henrique Holschuh