Re: external drive enclosures / esata / port multipliers?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Monte Milanuk wrote:
> On 1/17/11 5:57 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Monte Milanuk wrote:
> >>My big question is... most of these external drive boxes seem to
> >>claim support for JBOD, RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, etc. - should I presume
> >>that is simply fake RAID like many commodity mobos have, and not
> >
> >Either that, or worse: data-eating crap like many low-cost PCI-SATA host
> >bridges (such as some of the sil3xxx chips).
>
> Interesting... any particular examples?  It seems that a lot of the
> SATA external drive enclosures I was looking at come with an eSATA
> card using a sil3xxx chipset, but no mention of data corruption in
> the user reviews, FWIW.

No, look in bugzilla.kernel.org, and assorted reports in LKML... not all
SIL chips are broken.

> In other words '...avoid anything except the most expensive
> enterprise-grade equipment for a home backup storage solution'

Nah.  But be warned you have a 50% chance of getting crap, and plan
accordingly to try to avoid the trap.

And "most expensive enterprise-grade equipment" doesn't describe a small
SAS jbod enclosure and a SAS HBA.  You can probably get both for well
below US$ 1k, and you can populate it with SATA disks just fine.

  Henrique Holschuh