Re: external drive enclosures / esata / port multipliers?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Monte Milanuk wrote:
> 4-bay enclosure w/ eSATA card + cable:	$130
> Hitachi 2TB SATA HDD ($120x4):		$480
>
> Grand total:				$610
>
> vs...

> 4-bay enclosure:			$279
> Areca 1300x4 card + cable:		$197
> Hitachi 2TB SATAII HDD ($130x4):	$520
>
> Grand total: 				$996

> Is it really 50% mo betta?  If so, is the SAS setup I listed a good,

You're talking about 8TB of raw data.  How much is all that data worth to
you?

Backups don't protect you well from slow, insiduous corruption (chances are
you will NOT have a backup from before the corruption when you finally
notice it) unless you have a strong retention policy, which I have never
seen anyone do at home.

I'd go with the SAS setup.  The Arecca cards have very good reputation
(although I haven't checked that specific card).  I can't say anything about
the enclosure or the cable, other than that you should be careful with that
cable, and don't treat it harshly.

  Henrique Holschuh