Re: external drive enclosures / esata / port multipliers?

On 1/17/11 5:57 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Monte Milanuk wrote:
My big question is... most of these external drive boxes seem to
claim support for JBOD, RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, etc. - should I presume
that is simply fake RAID like many commodity mobos have, and not

Either that, or worse: data-eating crap like many low-cost PCI-SATA host
bridges (such as some of the sil3xxx chips).

Interesting... any particular examples? It seems that a lot of the SATA external drive enclosures I was looking at come with an eSATA card using a sil3xxx chipset, but no mention of data corruption in the user reviews, FWIW.

really usable in Linux? In that case, with all the drives hanging
off the one eSATA connection, will Linux (specifically Debian
Squeeze) see all four drives, or just the first one? Will I be able
to configure them in a RAID5 array as desired?

It will see all disks, yes.  But if the port-multiplier chip is buggy
crap, your data is toast.  It is best to avoid SATA port multipliers
like the plague because of that, since it is extremely difficult to shop
for an external bay with a particular chipset...

Look for a specific hardware product that has been in the market for at
least two years, and with many happy *Linux* users (Windows drivers
might be working around chip errata unknown to Linux libata).  Sorry, I
can't personally recommend any.

Or get a SAS HBA, and a SAS-attached enclosure.  Far more expensive, but
at least you can be sure it will work very well (yes, it will take SATA
disks as well as the more expensive (and better) SAS disks).

In other words '...avoid anything except the most expensive enterprise-grade equipment for a home backup storage solution'

While good advice I'm sure, it kind of blows the budget out of the water and nixes the whole project.