Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

Il giorno gio, 04/02/2010 alle 23.57 +1030, Arthur Marsh ha scritto:
> Pier Paolo wrote, on 04/02/10 04:07:

> >> As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
> >> mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.

> >> That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
> >> warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.

> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Camaleón
> >>

> > Maybe OT: what about executing a sh command on specific usb drive
> > mounts, on gnome and kde? As of as i recall from the debian wiki that's
> > not explained. Maybe in gentoo docs, i'll see.
> >
> > Thanks for any hints.
>
> Do you mean rather than using an /etc/fstab entry or a package like
> usbmount, have a udev rule that on detection of the USB device, either
> does an fsck and mount (at machine boot time) or just a mount of the
> device (if the device appears after machine boot time)?
>
> Arthur.

Yeah! An udev rule seems a good approach to me: i want to rsync my
backup on an external drive. I'm using rsnapshot/cron stuff, but i'll
get soon annoyed about to control the log, see if backup is already made
and all, as there is no way in rsnapshot script (for what i understand)
to assure the excpected backup frequency (with an EXTERNAL USB DISK i
mean: no cron/anacron, maybe vfs or kde device mounter... i don't know)

So, if someone could please tell me how/where to look for this udev rule
thing...

thanks.