Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 13:34:40 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:10:29 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

>> Uh? Didn't you say...? :-?
>>
>> ***
>> I found that initscripts seems to attempt to run fsck on non-existent
>> devices that appear in /etc/fstab, and different fsck programs for
>> different filesystem types give different error codes. ***
>
>   No. I didn't say it.

Oops, sorry. You're right. That was the OP.

>> Any device or partition listed under fstab are "static" ones. If you
>> have defined a mount point that is not present at boot time, you will
>> get a warning, that is a normal behaviour.
>>
>> If your USB disk is not always "on" and you want to prevent that
>> warning, you can use de "noauto" option but you'll have to manually
>> mount it when you plug it.
>
>   No, it mounts automatically when I plug it in...I just want it
> mounted automatically IF it's present during boot

Then, why not just add it to "/etc/fstab"?

- If it's present, it will be mounted.
- If it's not available, it will be ignored and the warning logged.

Nothing wrong with that.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón