Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:12:56 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> "man fstab" says that if the <passno> digit is other than zero,
> >> "fsck" will try to check that mount point.
> >

> >    I have devices (usually flashdrives and or digital cameras)
> > that may or may not be present during boot and they don't cause
> > boot failure. But I guess you're talking about different devices ??
>
> I mean devices listed as static mount points in "/etc/fstab".
> Usually, removable media (flash drivers and SD cards) are not
> listed there.
>
> I.e., if your USB drive is listed there and you have something like:

> # <pass>
> /dev/sdb1	/data/backup	ext3
> acl,user_xattr	1	2 ^
>
> Then fsck will try to check that mount point, either is present or
> not (or at least that is my understanding after reading "man
> fstab") :-)

  That's not what happens in my case. The boot process simply gives
an error that the device does not exist. There is no attempt to
fsck the non-existant drive. I gather this is because the system
attempts to mount the non-existant drive.

> If you want to avoid auto-checking at all for that specific mount
> point, you can put a "0" (zero) in the last column). You'll have to
> do the checking manually.

- --
Frank