Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Thursday 04 February 2010 11:44:36 Pier Paolo wrote:
> Yeah! An udev rule seems a good approach to me: i want to rsync my
> backup on an external drive. I'm using rsnapshot/cron stuff, but i'll
> get soon annoyed about to control the log, see if backup is already made
> and all, as there is no way in rsnapshot script (for what i understand)
> to assure the excpected backup frequency (with an EXTERNAL USB DISK i
> mean: no cron/anacron, maybe vfs or kde device mounter... i don't know)
>
> So, if someone could please tell me how/where to look for this udev rule
> thing...

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Specifically, http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#external-run

Your udev rules will generally reside under /etc/udev/rules.d.

Since a backup/sycn operation can take a while, remember this warning: "This
program can act on the device, however it must not run for any extended period
of time, because udev is effectively paused while these programs are running.
One workaround for this limitation is to make sure your program immediately
detaches itself."