Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 00:30:47 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

Camaleón wrote:

Mmm... I think "LABEL" would take precedence over another mount option
<<(UUID, ID or PATH) so if you "tag" your media device with a LABEL, it
should be mounted when plugged under "/media/mylabel".
  Well Label didn't work in my case either - I gave the USB drive a
  label
of Music...then changed fstab to the LABEL=Music from /dev/sda1

The drive did not get mounted and I had to go back to /dev/sda1

But as long as /dev/sda1 is used, there is no fsck of the drive.

You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of your DE hotplug capabilities.

Greetings,

As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in after the machine is booted.

I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the USB flash drive present.

Any takers for suggestions?

Arthur.