Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:42:40 +1030
Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote, on 03/02/10 06:16:
> >
> > To the OP:
> >
> > The bottom line: There is no problem even if flashdrives/cameras etc
> > are in fstab but not present- you simply get the error logged
> >

> > Cheers
> > - --
> > Frank
>
> Well, there is a definite problem in my case (Debian unstable on i386).
>
> Error code 1 on fsck gets an error logged, but doesn't stop the boot
> process.
>
> Upgrading dosfstools past 3.0.1 caused an error code greater than 1,
> which triggers the stop of the boot process.
>
> I don't understand why initscripts tries to fsck a non-existent device.

Definite problem here, too, on my uptodate Sid system, with ext3.  My
fstab has lines like this:

LABEL=software  /media/software ext3
defaults,user,exec,noauto       0       0

[The target is a LV within a VG on top of a partition on an external
USB disk.]

When the last field is 2, the boot stops after fsck fails with error
code 8, until I hit <ctrl>-D.  From /var/log/fsck/fsck/checkfs

fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'LABEL=software'
fsck died with exit status 8

> Maybe I should file a bug against initscripts.

Probably a good idea.  I just changed the fs_passno field to 0, but a
bug is probably in order.

> I had initially filed a bug against dosfstools but had no response:

Well, it's not really a bug in fsck, but, as you noted earlier, in
initscripts.  Perhaps you can just reassign the bug?

> I would just like to have USB flash drives that may or may not be
> plugged into machines that aren't switched on all the time, and I would
> like them to be mounted if they're plugged in when the machine is
> powered on, and for the machine to boot anyway if the USB flash drive is
> not present.

Exactly.  But mounting automatically is not the problem.  You can have
them mounted, without the fsck being performed.

Celejar