Re: basic ping diff with windows ping

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:01:07 +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:52:13 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote in message:

(...)

>> No, I think this has nothing to do with the router. Just look at Adam's
>> traceroute when using "-I" (without "-z"):
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/10/msg01565.html
>>

> ..my _guess_ is that the "hub" part matters, in the old days, hubs
> worked the same way as coax wire, _all_ signals are|were seen by all
> nics on the coax or in all hub ports, with whatever that meant of packet
> loss and packet collisions and other such mayhem.  On top of that, a
> decade or so back, we had these fun "unmanaged switch"|"managed hub" etc
> confusion_s_ going on and on, which had a lot of people throw away good
> gear as bad, etc. Part of the reason I measure my success by smoke
> volume. ;o)

Just make your own test with your hardware and you'll see the same :-)

It does not matter the router/hub/switch in between (I have another DSL
modem-routers in the office and I get the same "asterisks" coming from
linux boxes "tracerouters" but not from windows hosts).

It's just a curiosity, nothing more.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón