Re: KDE Question

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:57:43 -0500
Arthur Machlas <arthur.machlas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 07:18:12 -0500
> > Arthur Machlas <arthur.machlas@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The difference between xfce and gnome, for me is negligible, and
> >> losing a decent screensaver, gdm and powermanager not worth it. Once
> >
> > Never really used Gnome or its screensaver - what does it do that
> > Xscreensaver doesn't?  And what does powermanager do that Xfce's
> > power manager doesn't?
>
> Gnome's screensaver can switch users, leave messages, unlock with
> fingerprint scanner, and as a bonus, doesn't look like its running on
> an Atari system from 1983. C'mon, update the icon already.

Interesting, thanks.  The look I don't really care about, and switching
users isn't relevant for me, since I'm the only user of the system.
The xscreensaver author has a low opinion of gnome-screensaver:

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#gnome-screensaver
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html

But I have no idea how serious his concerns are, and whether they are
uptodate for current gnome-screensaver.

> Gnome's powermanager work for me. XFCE's doesn't. No idea why, or what
> magic they are employing. More substantively, not sure that XFCe can
> spin down hard drives.

Thanks.  I don't do much pm stuff, and what I do is generally from the
console, so I can't comment here.
> Is this a threadjack, or is this now a desktop war thread?

Not a threadjack - I was just curious about the advantages of other
DE's out there, and wondering what I'm missing ...

Celejar