Re: KDE Question

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 23:39:06 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 23:20:39 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 October 2010 22:47:45 Camaleón wrote:
> >> In fact, KDE 4.5 can be (almost 100%) configured to play the same KDE
> >> 3.5 did. It takes some time to get the same look&feel, but you can
> >> leave a quite similar desktop.
> >
> > "quite similar", "almost 100%", "configured to _play_ the same".  Ouch.
> > Spend long enough and you will get something that is almost, but not
> > quite, totally unlike tea.  But it still won't _play_ right.  I want to
> > *use* my DE not look at it.  I want its looks to be in no way a
> > distraction.  Maybe restful on the eyes.  That's all I want the looks to
> > do.
> >
> > But the functionality - now that I mind about, some bits more than
> > others.
>
> (after some rant... :-P)
>
> Yes, yes... I know all that (I've been there).
>
> But if you still love KDE, just give KDE 4.5 a chance. Spend 15 minutes
> in setting up the way you liked (meaning: remove all the fancy effects,
> use plain desktop, disable akonadi, strigi and that stuff, forget
> activities, return to the standard icons on the desktop...) and you're
> done. You'll get a plain and simple desktop, the same KDE 3.5 used to
> be :-)
>
> > I have continued to use Lenny largely because I do not want to lose KDE
> > 3.x.x any sooner than I have to.  And because I always hoped that
> > someone more knowledgable and adept than I would miss/want KDE 3.5.x as
> > much as I did, and carry it forward.  And someone did and has. \o/
>
> Yep, but supporting KDE 3.5 cannot last forever. You have to face that
> and you'll have to decide what way to choose, just be prepared ;-(
>
> > I have already tried Trinity Kubuntu, with some success, but it was not
> > really stable at the time.  So I am going to install Trinity KDE on a
> > machine other than my workhorse desktop, but that I am using quite a lot
> > at the moment.  I am really looking forward to it.  Squeeze, here I
> > come!
>
> Good luck! :-)
>
> But just in case, give it a chance to KDE 4.5 (play with it in a virtual
> machine and start it from time to time) and also, test another desktops.
> Experience tells me that sticking to just one thing it can be very
> dangerous... and very frustrating.

Why?  KDE 4 has nothing in common with KDE 3 other than the name.  I have
given KDE 4 a chance.  I don't like it.  I don't understand why there is this
moral crusade to treat KDE 3 lovers as some kind of pig-headed throwback.
_Of course_ KDE 3.5.10 is not going to last forever - in fact Trinity KDE has
already reached 3.5.12.  But it could evolve organically.  And I have been
trying other DEs.  I have just lived for 10 days with xfce.  I did not find
it enjoyable.

Of course one day KDE 3 will die.  So will I.  So will GNOME.  So will the
planet.  I have never said that I will not change - merely that I do not want
to do so until I have to.

But why is using it "dangerous"?   There is a good chance that it will outlive
me. ;-)  And if it doesn't, I'll use something else. :-)  But that something
else is unlikely to be KDE 4.

Sorry, Camaleón.  I realise that what you are saying is fairly mild.  But I
have been subject to an onslaught over this by Dotan, who is a KDE 4 zealot,
so I am a bit touchy about attempts to cajole, persuade, bully or compel, me
into KDE 4.  KDE 4 seems to be all about look and glitz and nothing about
function.  Function is important to me.

Lisi