System installation from scratch

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:47:56 -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:

> I've lived that way for so long that I don't like bloated (my opinion,
> not to start a discussion) desktop environments...  Things might change,
> but I still feel confortable this way...

Me too. Strongly agree. Not a single package is not what I use in my
system.

> . . .  Then
> I didn't install anything else than the minimum required.  The default
> coming from squeeze might do.  Then I start installing the applications
> I want, including power management, fluxbox, X, alsa stuff, etc...
> Without using tasksel, since most of such tasks are not good for me.  I
> always install build-essential, and some additional compilation stuff,
> plus other applications for office, web browsing etc. . .

Almost the same as me. I first debootstrap, then do all these in chroot.
Well, that's in theory. In reality, I just prepare a list of packages,
and I'm done. For the rest, I let grml-live to take care of them all.
Check out

http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=remastering

HTH

--