Re: To enable the power management mechanism

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:17:57 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Of all the following acpi related packages, which ones do you have (or,
> which ones should I tell my debootstrap to install)?
>
> acpi-fakekey - tool to generate fake key events
> acpi-support-base - scripts for handling base ACPI events such as the
> power button
> acpi-support - scripts for handling many ACPI events
> acpi - displays information on ACPI devices
> acpid - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface event daemon
> acpitool - command line ACPI client
> acpidump - utilities to dump system's ACPI tables to an ASCII file
> laptop-detect - attempt to detect a laptop
> laptop-mode-tools - Tools for Power Savings based on battery/AC status
> sleepd - puts an inactive or low battery laptop to sleep
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)

I don't have the context of you previous e-mail, so my answer is just
biased by what I use, which is NO desktop environment at all, also
notice, it's a matter of taste most of the time...  So what I install
is:

acpi
acpitool
acpid
acpi-support-base
laptop-mode-tools
cpufrequtils
cpufreqd
lm-sensors
sensord

I do suspend to RAM through "acpitool -s" and suspend to disk through
"acpitool -S", so I don't need any other suspending solution...

laptop-detect is a dependency for some of those I mentioned, so I
didn't include it.

I believe acpi-support-base is also a dependency, so probably I
shouldn't have included it, but well, I'm not sure.

acpi-fakekey is a dependency for acpi-support, so if you include
acpi-support, the other will be installed.

acpi-support is nice specially if one doesn't have a desktop
environment, and wants some buttons and keys support, but I found it
too bloated for my taste, and I do things through commands or menu
entries in fluxbox, so I don't really need it, and besides some of the
stuff doesn't even work for me.  But you might want to use it fi it
provides something to you...

I'm not sure about power button application you included, but perhaps
if you have acpi-support, you won't need it.  Sounds like they
overlap, not sure if can coexist.  I've never used power button.

acpidump is just if you're in need to print out acpi tables.  I never
had the need, :-)

--
Javier.