Re: Squeeze. What is current hibernation mechanism?

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:21:15 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Hibernation and suspension are sharing the same requirements than
>> always:
>>
>> 1. ACPI compilant machine / devices
>> 2. An OS capable to handle them (for hibernation you need a swap
>> partition size with at least the same amount of your RAM) 3. Testing,
>> testing, testing
>> 4. A good provision of luck :-)
>
> It is seems like I am not too good with gathering such an ephemeral
> thing like a 'luck'  :(

Luck is a pretty scarce resource on these days...

> About 'what is not working'.
> I have a NVidia videoboard:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT216
> [GeForce GT 240M] [10de:0a34] (rev a2)
> 	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:38fd]
> 	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Which driver are you using (nouveau, nv, nvidia)? Different drivers
provide different support for resuming. Also, having 3D effects enabled
can be conflictive.

> When the system goes out from a hibernation, the backlit of notebook's
> screen is not back switch on, so screen is dark and it is impossible to
> work. If I use a suspend-to-ram sleeping scheme everything is fine. So,
> I wonder if I misconfigured something in a hibernation scheme.

There is a way for blacklisting problematic modules (meaning "disallow
them for hibernating"). Each power manager method (pm-utils, uwusup and
hibernate) uses theirown scripts for disabling/backlisting the modules.

I would recommend reading this FAQ to get a global idea about the
elements that come into play:

http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend

And also, this:

http://old-en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils

Where it explains some tips to debug "pm-utils" and how to disable/
customize your own hooks.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón