Re: authentication of multiple users for one mail server

brownh put forth on 9/8/2010 3:52 PM:
> I've made some progress simply by defining a set of users+domains on
> my host mail server. Broadly, now I've got three machines all speaking
> with each other. However, while the machine running squeeze I'm trying
> to setup can communcate through an alias on another server and to
> various addresses, it can't send mail to my current machine to its
> primary address: exim's error is that it is unroutable.

This architecture of "SMTP end-to-end" mail routing/delivery died about
15 years ago along with pure UNIX networks.  As you are discovering,
configuring this architecture is a nightmare, and is the exact reason
POP and IMAP were created, and mail user agents modified to take
advantage of POP and IMAP servers.

Designate one of your machines as your MX host, install a POPer or IMAP
server, and configure user MUAs accordingly.  This is the modern way of
delivering email to users, and it's really the only sane way to do it,
from an SA's POV.  Look into Dovecot.

--
Stan