Re: authentication of multiple users for one mail server

I've made some progress simply by defining a set of users+domains on
my host mail server. Broadly, now I've got three machines all speaking
with each other. However, while the machine running squeeze I'm trying
to setup can communcate through an alias on another server and to
various addresses, it can't send mail to my current machine to its
primary address: exim's error is that it is unroutable.

However, I would assume that for an administrator handling dozens or
hundreds of accounts which need access to a mail server, the
administrator does not create all these accounts in the mail server
nor fill up exim4 configuration files with all the information. It
seems more likely there would be a simple alias list to grant user
account access to the mail server.

As for my present situation, from within the account named "haines" on
the new machine, I can send mail to old machine,
brownh@historicalMaterialism through a forwarding service on another
server and I can send mail to my current machine using an alternative
domain name for it, but can't send a message directly to
brownh@historicalmaterialism.info.

When it comes to digging into exim4's configuration files, it all goes
over my head. But I gather from googling that exim4's default is to
route to only local mailboxes or domains. If that were do, I'd get
nothing out. In any case, I was unable to locate the variable and
value DCconfig_internet=1 in all the exim4 configuration files.

Haines