authentication of multiple users for one mail server

I've never encountered this problem before because I've always used
the same user name, but now I'm setting up a machine with different
user accounts and I need to have all these users' outgoing mail
authenticated by the mail server. I run exim4, but not procmail.

Although the error message says it is from the remote mail server, it
shows up instantly, and I suspect the error is generated locally.

I've struggled with the Exim book, but it goes over my head. I tried
listing users in /etc/exim4/passwd.client, but that was a bad guess.

Haines Brown