Re: authentication of multiple users for one mail server

Celejar, sorry, I thought I was asking just a generic question. Yes,
I'm running exim4 under debian squeeze, with SMTP authentication
required, and I do have an entry in my /etc/exim4/passwd.client file,
and my problem probably has to do with the syntax of the entries.

For years I've used a wild card for the mail server, entered my UID
for the mail server, which is my email address, and finally the
password for this account:

    *:brownh@historicalMaterialism.info:password

Now I have a second box with a different user account name (which I'll
call user1 here), which wants to be authenticated by this same mail
server. On this second box, exim4 creates the From: line by attaching
the user account name (user1) to the domain name:
user1@historicalMaterialism.info. The aim is to have this sender
address authenticated.

I try various things in passwd.client:

Outgoing mail accesses my mail server account with a UID which is my
email address (brown@historicalmaterialism.info) and a password
(password).

So, for user1 on the new machine to use this email account, I put in
the line:

  *:brownh@historicalmaterialism.info:password

This does not work because the From: line of the outgoing message is
user1@historicalmaterialism.info, and so the server wants to see if
this user1 is legit. So I add this line:

  *:user1@historicalmaterialism.info:password

But this is not the UID of the account name, and so does not work. In
desperation I also tried a wild card to cover all users:

  *:*@historicalmaterialism.info:password

In any ase, when user1 attempts to send a message, it immediately
bounces with this error message:

  recipient@address.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:
        <recpient@address.com>:
    host mail.historicalMaterialism.info [216,239...]:
    553.5.7.1 <user1@historicalMaterialism.info>:
    Sender address rejected: not onwed by user
        brownh@historicalMaterialism.info

I took this to mean that the error message cames from my ISP's mail
server even though it seems
instantaneous. "mail.historical.materialism" is the mail account on
that server. I assume that the account on the mail server with UID
brownh@historicalmaterialism.info could not authenticate mail from
user1@historicalMaterialism.info.

Haines