Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:29:44 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:55 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> So your answer is basically "go buy a more expensive printer I don't
>>> need just to fix this problem."
>>
>> No, but "keep you informed *before* buying".
>
> Where was this information available then?

Dunno... did you ask HP in that time, for instance?

> I keep asking this, this is
> such an obscure issue that it surfaces only after I take a colour
> document printout?

Obscure? Not, is just an option that is not avaialble for some printer
models, not only yours, calm down.

> Even googling this issue I find very few articles referring to this
> particular "drawback of Linux drivers".

It can be that not all people is interested in that feature. But again,
if it was so important for you, you better had asked HP directly to be
sure about your buying. Now there is little you can do, just complain :-(

> It's a feature I would have expected to work 99% of the time.

I, knowing how these things work, don't.

> Calling me out on being unaware of this specific bug is not very kind
> of you!

Well, I am stating a fact: you were unaware that some concrete function
was not a option for your device. You call that "be not very kind"? Okay,
I call that "to be unaware" :-)

>> Then you have to spend your money in a good device that have all such
>> features and it's fully supported on your linux box. There are tons of
>> hardware devices out there that simply do not work or are not fully
>> supported in linux :-/
>>

> AFAIK, spending more money on hardware does not guarantee success with
> Linux. I've had expensive hardware also fail to work on Linux before. So
> yes, I understand that you need to state this, but I have been a Debian
> user for over 8 years now and I don't need to be told this specifically.

Spend money with hardware that will work as you expect. Ask manufactures
to get the full capabilities with Linux (I do), ask in the forums to get
more feedback (I also do), and then pray for the best...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón