Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:55 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:13:16 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:02:41 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> As I said you before, our HP laserjet colour printer (PostScript
>>> based) do have that option you are looking for. I'd say those enhanced
>>> features come with the hardware you are buying... and the money you
>>> spend on it
>>

>> So your answer is basically "go buy a more expensive printer I don't
>> need just to fix this problem."
>
> No, but "keep you informed *before* buying".

Where was this information available then? I keep asking this, this is
such an obscure issue that it surfaces only after I take a colour
document printout?

Even googling this issue I find very few articles referring to this
particular "drawback of Linux drivers".

It's a feature I would have expected to work 99% of the time. Calling me
out on being unaware of this specific bug is not very kind of you!

>> Also I need an MFD. We scan and copy frequently and I don't want to
>> spend even more on a laser MFD.
>
> Then you have to spend your money in a good device that have all such
> features and it's fully supported on your linux box. There are tons of
> hardware devices out there that simply do not work or are not fully
> supported in linux :-/
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

AFAIK, spending more money on hardware does not guarantee success with
Linux. I've had expensive hardware also fail to work on Linux before. So
yes, I understand that you need to state this, but I have been a Debian
user for over 8 years now and I don't need to be told this specifically.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)