Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

Mark Allums put forth on 3/8/2010 1:05 AM:
> On 3/8/2010 12:43 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> Look into XFS for desktop use.  You may be surprised at what is has to
>> offer.  I'm not saying jump right in, but at least do a little reading
>> and
>> see if it might be worth just testing for your uses.
>

> Okay.  However, why doesn't Debian install it by default?

I'm not on the Debian team.  You'd have to ask them.  There are probably
multiple reasons, not least of which is the fact that Debian has used an EXT
FS variant since the beginning of time.  You're also asking about a
"default" install, which is geared for the masses.  The masses already use
ET2/3, so I guess it would make sense to maintain that for support reasons.

Expert mode allows one to choose whatever filesystem(s) one desires, and I
would guess that this is how most sysadmins worth some salt do it.  This is
how I do it anyway.

> (Still rooting for btrfs and/or ZFS (-: )

Don't hold your breath for ZFS.  It may never make its way into the Linux
kernel.  btrfs looks good so far on paper.  Although it's so similar to XFS
in most respects I'm surprised they bother.  Choice is always good though,
so carry on btrfs devs. :)

--
Stan