Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

On 3/7/2010 8:46 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Mark Allums put forth on 3/7/2010 6:17 PM:

ReiserFS is okay.   *Was* okay.  I wouldn't use it *now*.    But I find
it curious that your chosen alternative is XFS.

I find it interesting that you find my choice "curious", given that you
avoid the two oldest and most mature *nix journaling filesystems available,
XFS and JFS.  And XFS has more tools and instrumentation available on Linux
than any filesystem.

Maybe this difference of opinion is application specific.  I only use Linux
for servers, not desktops.  XFS/JFS weren't designed with the desktop/laptop
in mind, but high performance servers.  These filesystems may not be a good
fit for desktop/laptop use.  I've never attempted it and have no experience
with it, so I have no opinion.  However, for server use, they can't be beat.

Well, you undoubtedly have more experience than I with servers. JFS is dying. XFS *is not* suitable for desktops, you are correct.

I spend a lot of time experimenting, and a simple, stable FS is very necessary for me. When everything comes apart, putting the pieces back together is much easier when you can at least mount the filesystem.

XFS is kind of specialized. And I don't really know enough about it myself to feel good about using it. So I will concede that perhaps it is a better choice than Ext2/3/4 for your application, and certainly a better choice for new installs than Reiser.

M. Allums

(Still hoping btrfs will turn out to be viable.  Linus uses it.)