Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

In <[🔎] 20100306015538.GP11387@wasteland.homelinux.net>, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>Mark:
>> I hope there is a simple answer to this question (fingers crossed): how do
>> I overwrite an existing partition (hda2 for example) with all zeros
>> (essentially blanking the partition clean in preparation for installing
>> Lenny), without destroying the partition table?
>
>Why do you think you need to blank the partition before installing
>lenny? There *are* reasons to do that, but they have nothing to do with
>the installation of a new OS.

(reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) has a nasty habit of necromancy.  In particular,
it might link files from the old file system into lost+found.  It can also
destroy the heck out of your file system if you happen to store a reiserfs
file system in a file.  (e.g. [reiserfs] -> /home/bss/Sid.qemu -> [reiserfs]).

This is widely considered a significant flaw of the reiserfs tools -- I've not
heard of other file systems with the same issues.  Also, the --rebuild-tree
option is rather last-resort anyway.