Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

On 3/6/2010 11:20 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 3/6/2010 9:11 PM:
If you are going to put reiserfs on a block device, it is not overly cautious
to erase the block device, to avoid (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) from
performing necromancy.

One more reason not to use ReiserFS.  The fact it was created by a convicted
murderer being the big one, obviously.  Long before that, when Reiser was
the hype, I never jumped on the bandwagon.  I stuck with EXT2 until moving
most things to XFS.

ReiserFS is okay. *Was* okay. I wouldn't use it *now*. But I find it curious that your chosen alternative is XFS.

Mark Allums

Ext4 is usable, provided one doesn't ever need to rescue. Current live CDs don't support it well (or mdRAID, or LVM2, either). So I use Ext3, and will continue to do so until either btrFS or ZFS is usable (and well-supported).