Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

In <[🔎] 4B92A531.6090200@cox.net>, Ron Johnson wrote:
>On 2010-03-06 09:41, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <[🔎] 20100306015538.GP11387@wasteland.homelinux.net>, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>>> Mark:
>>>
>>> Why do you think you need to blank the partition before installing
>>> lenny? There *are* reasons to do that, but they have nothing to do with
>>> the installation of a new OS.
>>
>> (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) has a nasty habit of necromancy.  In
>> particular, it might link files from the old file system into lost+found.
>> It can also destroy the heck out of your file system if you happen to
>> store a reiserfs file system in a file.  (e.g. [reiserfs] ->
>> /home/bss/Sid.qemu -> [reiserfs]).
>
>Non sequiter?

Not really.

1. Old installation using one of more reiserfs file systems.
2. Install Lenny without wiping; use one or more reiserfs file systems.
3. Worst-case scenario file system failure.
4. (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) -> Links files from the old file system into
the new file system.

If you are going to put reiserfs on a block device, it is not overly cautious
to erase the block device, to avoid (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) from
performing necromancy.