Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 04:11:17PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-09-16 15:57 +0200, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>
> > Kept thinking a bit longer: are the uids and gids of daemon users
> > actually determined during install? My experience is that these users
> > actually preserve their uid over installations quite well.
>
> This is only true for users with a UID < 100, as these are defined and
> maintained by the base-passwd package.  System users with a higher UID
> get their UID and GID allocated at package installation time and use the
> first ones that are available.  So these vary greatly between systems.

strange I use ldap for my userid/passwdb and when I build a  new
machine, I install a based debian, install my slapd packages which
integrate into pam/nss and then at the beggining I do a uid/gid check to
sync up uid/gid - usually only 1 or 2 changes like sshd <=> exim

but after that I can install all my other packages like apache and they
check first to see if the userid exist before creating any new ones, so
I have consistant uid/gid across all my machines.

so if the op is copying over his /etc/{passwd,groups,shadow} files and
then starts to install packages that should be fine

by your logic if I purged apache and then reinstalled I would recieve a
new uid/gid !

--
"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures."

	- George W. Bush
01/03/2000