Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Alex Samad:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 04:11:17PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>>
>> This is only true for users with a UID < 100, as these are defined and
>> maintained by the base-passwd package.  System users with a higher UID
>> get their UID and GID allocated at package installation time and use the
>> first ones that are available.  So these vary greatly between systems.
-- snip
> by your logic if I purged apache and then reinstalled I would recieve a
> new uid/gid !

No, he doesn't say that. UIDs are determined on first install, if the
usernames do not exist already. If they do, they are kept unchanged.
And purging a package doesn't remove the username<->UID mappings, they
are always kept intact (since apt cannot tell for sure whether you still
have any files left with the respective owner).

J.
--
I think the environment will be okay.
[Agree]   [Disagree]