Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Sjoerd Hardeman:
> Jochen Schulz schreef:
>>
>> Not quite. This might lead to problems when UIDs have changed. Some
>> packages (say, Apache) create new users and files which belong to these
>> users. Even if you install the same set of packages on a new system, you
>> have no guarantee that these users are created in the same order (and
>> hence with the same UIDs/GIDs).
>
> Indeed, you should use cp -p or rsync -a as this copies permissions and
> users. If you then also copy /etc/passwd and /etc/group you'll have a
> matching set of permissions/users/groups.

But then you still have to check the directories you didn't copy over to
the new system for files with the wrong owner. And the problems
concerning hostnames and IP addresses have to be solved as well.

J.
--
If nightclub doormen recognised me I would be more fulfilled.
[Agree]   [Disagree]