Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Jochen Schulz schreef:
Sjoerd Hardeman:
Jochen Schulz schreef:
Not quite. This might lead to problems when UIDs have changed. Some
packages (say, Apache) create new users and files which belong to these
users. Even if you install the same set of packages on a new system, you
have no guarantee that these users are created in the same order (and
hence with the same UIDs/GIDs).
Indeed, you should use cp -p or rsync -a as this copies permissions and users. If you then also copy /etc/passwd and /etc/group you'll have a matching set of permissions/users/groups.

But then you still have to check the directories you didn't copy over to
the new system for files with the wrong owner. And the problems
concerning hostnames and IP addresses have to be solved as well.
Kept thinking a bit longer: are the uids and gids of daemon users actually determined during install? My experience is that these users actually preserve their uid over installations quite well. And what problems do you see with hosts names/ip's? I assume at some point the new machine should *become* the old machine, so mathcing ip's and hostnames is then exaclty what you need. Of course, during the process of copying, you do need to be careful.