Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2009-09-16 15:57 +0200, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>
> > Kept thinking a bit longer: are the uids and gids of daemon users
> > actually determined during install? My experience is that these
> > users actually preserve their uid over installations quite well.
>
> This is only true for users with a UID < 100, as these are defined
> and maintained by the base-passwd package.  System users with a
> higher UID get their UID and GID allocated at package installation
> time and use the first ones that are available.  So these vary
> greatly between systems.

  is there no bulk account creation utility on debian for just this
sort of thing?  i know i've seen this sort of thing before on fedora,
i just can't remember what it's called.

  essentially, you feed the utility a list of lines from an existing
/etc/passwd file, and it runs the appropriate commands to create the
corresponding accounts on a new system.  all you need to do is strip a
copy of the /etc/passwd file to the point where it contains only those
users whose UIDs are 1000 and up, since you don't want to touch
anything else.

  no such thing?  i would have thought that that sort of thing is
*exactly* what you want for migrations.

rday