Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Sjoerd Hardeman:

> Why not just copy /etc, /home, /root and /var, and make sure you do not
> follw symlinks in copying. That should do.

Not quite. This might lead to problems when UIDs have changed. Some
packages (say, Apache) create new users and files which belong to these
users. Even if you install the same set of packages on a new system, you
have no guarantee that these users are created in the same order (and
hence with the same UIDs/GIDs).

My approach would be to set up every service manually by copying the
relevant config files and checking whether they need any customization
(hostname, IP addresses come to mind). I give in that's very
labour-intensive, but I cannot think of a better way (in terms of
reliability).

J.
--
If I was Mark Chapman I would have shot John Lennon with a water pistol.
[Agree]   [Disagree]