Re: 2.6.30 (Squeeze): no hda1 no sda1

Paul Gallaway wrote:

<snip>
> To summarize you would first create a mount point and then do the
> mount manually. From there you can edit the real fstab and do some
> other things using chroot etc. I did this recently on an install to
> complete a grub install that was failing by invoking aptitude and
> update-grub with chroot from within the busybox shell provided by the
> installer. Really opened my eyes to what one could do with busybox as
> I'd never had a need before!

Just to be totally sure of what you're saying, I do the above when thrown
into a shell after it fails to find the root file system, is that correct?
I'm not sure how it could find the root file system, that is, /dev/hda1,
with a mount command but not in the init script.
>> I understand what you're saying but up to now, using the root=UUID=xxxxxx
>> does not work but I have not done that when I have ALSO changed the fstab
>> designation to the UUID. I can try that but I'll have to check on the
>> syntax for specifying UUID in the fstab file.
>
> Hadn't thought of passing the UUID as a boot option. Not sure that the
> fstab would be any better/different.
I've tried both. I edit the fstab while running 2.6.26 so it's a proper
error and reboot with the UUID spec in fstab instead of /dev/sda1 or
/dev/hda1 and I still get the same result: it doesn't find the root file
system.

>> What's funny is that Sidux, using 2.6.30 finds the hard drive with no
>> problem at /dev/sda1 and yet Squeeze with 2.6.30 can't find it there. The
>> only kernel-specific driver I'm using now is for my ancient webcam,
>> gspca, which is certainly not critical for the kernel to function
>> normally. It remains a mystery.
>> cheers,
>
> Maybe purge the linux-image and reinstall? Perhaps something went
> wrong on install?
I've done that once already, to no effect. (only removing though, I can try
purging to remove any garbage from the earlier 2.6.30 install. I'm starting
to think that waiting is the best option. I have no problems with 2.6.26 and
no pressing need to upgrade the kernel.
Thanks for all your time and effort.
Cheers,
Jonathan