create a package for multiple debian versions

Hi,
I am working on a autbuilding system to build my packeges. I want to make packages for both lenny and etch version. But the package changes some other aplication's config and the configuration is different for both version - the postinst and postrm scripts are totaly different.
The basic posibilities are two:
1) Maintain two source repositories with two identical sources except the install scripts.
2) Make one package with one postinst and resolve the version in it.

I do like no of these options (the first option I like less).
I would like to have for example two postinst scripts with the extensions or prefix (etch/lenny) but I always come to solution, which needs do some changes in dephelper or dpkg itself, which I don't like at all.

Could someone show me a way (and let the way be debian way) how could should I effectively solve it? I dont want the complete howto, just some outline or idea.

Thank all of them for the reply
Marek