Re: 2.6.30 (Squeeze): no hda1 no sda1

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm runny Debian Testing (Squeeze) and have been for years. Since linux-
> image-2.6.30-686 has now trickled down to Squeeze, I thought it was time to
> upgrade from 2.6.26. I installed linux-image-2.6.30-1-686 (keeping my old
> kernel of course ) and rebooted. The new kernel will not boot and complains
> about not finding /dev/hda1 . Checking /boot/grub/menu.lst I see that the
> entries for both kernel (2.6.30 and 2.6.26) are configured identically.
> 2.6.26 boots with no problems and instantly finds /dev/hda1 (my hard drive)
> as did every kernel going back to the 2.4 days.

Boot your 2.6.26 kernel and try changing your fstab to use the UUID or
label of the drive. Once booted into 2.6.30 you can probably change
your fstab back to the appropriate device.

I have noticed changes to older drives in particular. For me it seems
Etch, Lenny and Squeeze have all identified an old IDE DVD-RW drive
differently (something like /dev/hd#, /dev/sd# and /dev/sr0
respectively). I have noticed similar changes with some of my hard
drives but it's never affected my root partition so always just fixed
after boot.
--
~pAul.